Shiny Happy People

Cherry Picked Quotes From SGI:

"The essence of the Lotus Sutra is the conviction that we have within us at each moment the ability to overcome any problem or difficulty that we may encounter in life; a capacity to transform any suffering. Our lives possess this power because they are inseparable from the fundamental law that underlies the workings of all life and the universe."

"This chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo as all other chants, helps soothe our troubled minds, removing the veneer of suffering, grief, hardship and pain, and replacing them with peace. The words Nam Myoho Renge Kyo were established for the purpose of helping people to stop suffering."

"This practice provides a way for all people to activate the law of the Universe and use it within their own lives to experience the joy that comes from being able to end suffering."

SGI-USA
I joined this cult after being introduced by a loved one. I enjoyed the chanting and even went to some group chants. However, I didn't like the way the group was manipulating my loved one and using up all their spare time with group chants, study meetings, temple gatherings, etc. 

I joined SGI and after a short time,  achieved a certain status where one receives a scroll to stare at while chanting. Of course, I needed a cabinet for the scroll. There was a ceremony at the temple and I was handed the scroll, rolled and boxed up. I wasn't allowed to touch it with my bare hands, but everyone else was. I held the small box with a gold, silk cloth. We watched a video of a Japanese man shouting and shaking his fist at the fawning people in the audience. The captions were uplifting messages, but his behavior reminded me of Hitler and the onscreen audience reminded me of Kim Jong Un's subjects.

After I was given the scroll, it was taken away and I was told that a couple would come to my home and make sure the cabinet was placed correctly (e.g. not in a window). They also had to place the scroll in the cabinet for me, because I wasn't allowed to touch it.

I began receiving calls from people wanting to come over and chant with me. I said no. I received calls from people wanting me to come and chant with them. I said I could not make it. I was told to memorize more chants and go to study meetings. No bueno! I was not going back to school.

I did go to one gathering where we chanted, etc., then there was a huge spread of food- meat, meat and more meat. Also desserts. I guess they're all on the carnivore diet. That doesn't fit with Buddhism, does it? I was staring at a sheet pan of chicken, when the husband of one of the women wanting to chant with me said he heard I was from New Zealand. Since he and his wife are both tall and I don't sound New Zealand, I assumed he was implying that I'm part hobbit, because I'm short. I decided to never go back.

My loved one asked me for another bottle of elm flower essence (for overwhelm) and soon after, I noticed they quit replying to the group texts we were getting from them.

With all that business about the scroll, I remember thinking, "we're done here." However, I still chant from time to time. 

Comments