Goin' to Louisiana (More 60th B-day Celebrations)


My DNA results:
37% Irish
35% Inuit
28% French

My People, on both sides are very French, very French speaking, Franco Americans from Quebec and Canada. Both of my parents were bilingual but spoke perfect English to avoid accusations of being French. 
Back generations ago, in Canada, there was something about the Queen, something about my People, something about Maine and Louisiana. Anyway, we ended up in Maine, which was prejudiced against the French. We could have landed in Louisiana and turned out Cajun and that suits me just fine. I love Zydeco/Cajun music and I love Cajun/Creole food and the culture. Can you dig it? I sure can and I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday to some lively bands, while enjoying some spicy, delicious cuisine. 

As horrible as my dad was, he did take me and three of my brothers to Louisiana, when we were young. My mom, in California, sent my two oldest sisters in a white van to kidnap us. Tom stayed behind in Louisiana and five years later he died by suicide.
 
We went everywhere with my dad- museums, Disneyland, amusement parks, zoos/animal parks, a planetarium in LA around 1970, camping, etc., etc. The only thing that stuck for me is camping, travel and road trips. I dislike amusement parks, museums and a lot of the crowded tourist attractions. I never object to visiting these places, but I'll often choose to rest and nap in the car.

I had a terrifying experience at Disneyland with my sibling telling me the train light coming toward us, on the roller coaster, in the pitch dark, was going to hit us if I didn't steer the car away. The "train" horn was blaring and I was scared to death. I had wanted to ride with my sibling to avoid riding it with my dad, because he had R-d me. I was five years old.

I Could Have Been Born on the Bayou 

My all time favorite musician Van Morrison -Jambalaya

I'm going to Van Morrison's upcoming US concert, too- can't wait!


Comments