Caren's Caring

There's a breed of meddlesome Karen that makes me shiver. I Spell it Caren, because they’re the ones who claim: "because I Care..." The insincerity, of this phrase, dribbling off the xanaxed lip of a busybody triggers my anxiety and makes me want to go off on them. However, nowadays my anxiety doesn't cause me to lose my temper, as it had in the past.

Attempting to control others in order to keep ones anxiety in check is a losing battle and I know this from experience. I often observe how the Caren has lost control of his or her own life in a number of ways, hence the hopelessness and maybe even the pill popping or drinking. Caren caring often involves a lot of unhelpful advice along with them doing unsolicited favors. This behavior leads up to drama and the Caren using the codependent's favorite mantra: I did/do so much for you/them and, and, and...

Carens have never learned about being charitable; that a gift is a gift- not a transaction; "fixing" others is not their job and "helping" others is not their job. I think some of this behavior is learned in church- Jehovah's Witness comes to mind, along with so many other cults out there.

Comments